Canton
Oxford County, Maine
Main Street - north side


a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - 183 Pleasant Street, Apartment 1 - Canton, Maine  04221
info@vfthomas.com


(updated 21 January 2017)





Welcome to the Main Street (north side) web page

The purpose of this page is to trace the history of the property along the north side of Main Street in Canton, Oxford County, Maine, from the center of town toward North Hartford.

You can help by e-mailing scanned images, photocopies of photographs, or especially photographs themselves (they will be returned promptly) to info@vfthomas.com or by traditional mail to “Canton History c/o V. F. Thomas Co.; 183 Pleasant St., Apt. 1; Canton, Maine 04221”.

A little work by each of us will save a lot of work for all of us.






Map U5, Lots 22, 24, 26-29 The tour of the north side of Main Street begins with the Civil War monument and then moves on to lots, 27, 26, 22, and the two “back”lots 24 and 29. Other lots shown on this map will be covered during the Pleasant Street west side tour (lot 30) or the Hayford Court tour (lots 21, 20, and 19).


Map U5, Lot 28 From a comparison of the orientation of the statue in this photo, taken in 2016, with the orientation below, it appears that the statue has been moved, or at least rotated.  
 

(image provided by the Vashaw family in loving memory of Norman A. Vashaw)
According to Norman Vashaw's book What Is Ain't What Was, this monument was dedicated in August 1910. Note that the flag at the right had 45 stars (click on image to enlarge). The 45-star flag became official on 4 July 1896 and was replaced on 4 July 1908 with the 46-star flag. Note the size of the two trees on what was called the Village Square compared with the same trees in the image below.
 

(image provided by the Vashaw family in loving memory of Norman A. Vashaw)
Here is the Village Square, as it was called, before the addition in 1910 of the Civil War monument. The building at the left is what is now the post office, and the street receding away from the Square (just to the left of the tree on the right side of the Square) is Pleasant Street.


Map U2, Lot 27 The post office as it looked on 18 June 2016.
 
When Otis Hayford sold this parcel to Alvarado Hayford (195:519; 11 September 1880), the building was referred to as “the two-brick store with ell or addition thereto belonging”. The ell referred to is at the right (north) side of the main (brick) building. These photographs were almost certainly taken on the same day, but the date is unknown. (images provided by the Vashaw family in loving memory of Norman A. Vashaw)


Map U5, Lots 26–27 Traveling west on Main Street today, the next place on the right (north) after the post office is Canton Variety. That was not the case prior to 1983. The store/eating portion of Canton Variety was not there, and where that portion is now as well as where the gas pumps are and the land between the pumps and the post office is, there was a large building, the Opera House and Odd Fellows hall, as can be seen in the photograph at left. Note also that there was a narrow addition on what is today the post office. (image provided by the Vashaw family in loving memory of Norman A. Vashaw)
 
Opera House and Odd Fellows hall (image provided by the Vashaw family in loving memory of Norman A. Vashaw)
 
248:185 (27 July 1896) When Wilder O. Hayford sold this parcel to Anasagunticook Lodge I.O.O.F. [Independent Order of Odd Fellows] No. 32 (see deed reference at left), the lot was “bounded on the east by the Dury Bradford brick store lot [now the post office], on the north by … [a] fence and land of said [Wilder O.] Hayford, on the west by lot & buildings [the “original“ portion of what is now Canton Variety] formerly owned by Orlando Hayford and now occupied by Granville Childs, and on the south by the county road leading to Hartford.”
 
231:525 (18 June 1895) Wilder O. Hayford owned this piece for only about a year after purchasing it from heirs of [Oakes?] Thompson.


Map U5, Lot 26 Comparing the photograph at the left, taken on 18 June 2016, with the second one above shows clearly the relatively recent addition to what is now Canton Variety. The store and land was purchased from the Jaspers (see below) on 18 January 2006 (3877:274–275) by Christopher R. and Diane J. Campbell, who still own it but under the name CDC Properties (5132:87–88; 21 June 2014).
 
983:63 (1 May 1978)
1226:44 (15 September 1983
1237:127 (29 November 1983)
1244:246 (18 January 1984)
1318:62–63 (29 May 1985)
Between 1 May 1978 and 29 May 1985, Winston D. Jasper, Joan E. Jasper, and Daniel W. Jasper collectively purchased five parcels that together are now the Canton Variety lot.
 
One of those five parcels (983:63) included the building that is now the Canton Variety and was described in the deed as “consisting of approximately one acre and having standing thereon a two-story frame building consisting of a store with a six-room house attached”.
 
971:54 (9 January 1978) Thane M. Rose and Shirley R. Rose sold to Richard A. Davenport
 
645:9–10 (30 April 1965): Heirs of John T. Lindley (Daniel J. Donovan, Ruth Martin, Helen Lindley, and Anson T. Lindley) and James K. Martin (husband of Ruth Martin) sold to Thane M. Rose and Shirley R. Rose. [See 523:458; 30 August 1957 for John T. Lindley's will.] “said premise consisting of approximately one (1) acre and having standing thereon a two-story frame building consisting of a drugstore with a six-room house attached. Together with all equipment, furniture, stock-in-trade, and all other personal property situated thereon of every name and nature.”
 

(image provided by the Vashaw family in loving memory of Norman A. Vashaw)
John T. Lindley purchased the land “with the buildings thereon” (364:321) from James A. Reynolds on 22 January 1923 and operated a drugstore on the premises.
 

(image provided by the Vashaw family in loving memory of Norman A. Vashaw)
This building was a store long before it was purchased by John T. Lindley.


Map U5, Lot 22 [insert image] [text]


Map U5, Lot 24 [insert image] [text]


Map U5, Lot 29 [insert image] [text]