Thank you for contributions to this page from James Hildreth.
During the history of the town of York, there have been eight post offices.
Briefly, the history of these eight is as follows:
1. Brixham post office opened on 14 February 1898 and closed on 30 June 1903.
2. Cape Neddick post office was established on 28 February 1825 and is still operating.
3. Long Beach post office, a summer office, opened on 21 May 1890 and closed on 25 September 1890; re-opened on 3 uly 1891 and closed on 14 September 1891; re-opened on 27 June 1892 and closed on 31 August 1892.
4. York (1) post office was established on 12 June 1792. On 6 October 1908, it was renamed as York Harbor post office, which is still operating.
5. York Beach post office was established on 30 August 1881 and was renamed on 29 February 1996 [or 1 March 1996?] to York Beach Br. [or Sta.?] York Harbor, which is still operating.
6. York Cliffs post office, a summer office, opened on 29 April 1895 and closed on 31 August 1911.
7. York Corner post office opened on 13 October 1874 and closed on 31 March 1919.
8. York Village was established on 8 November 1886 and was renamed on 1 October 1850 as York (2) post office, which is still operating.
In 1914, there were five post office in York: Cape Neddick, York Beach, York Corner, York Harbor, and York Village. (source Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.