Wells
York County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 12 April 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Hildreth and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Wells, there have been nine post offices.

Briefly, the history of these nine is as follows:
1. Elms post office was established on 3 October 1890 and closed on31 May 1908.
2. Kennebunk (1) post office, so-called because a later post office (in Kennebunk, and after this one closed) bore the Kennebunk postmark, was established on 12 May 1775 and closed in October 1775.
3. Moody post office was established on 9 February 1897 and is still in operation.
4. Ogunquit post office was established on 18 May 1826 and is still in operation.
5. Webhannet post office, a summer office, was established on 19 July 1893. On 30 April 1963 (or 1969? - needs research) it became Webhannet Rur. Sta. Wells. Research is needed to determine the closing date.
6. Wells (2) post office, so-called because an earlier post office (in Kennebunk, and closed by the time this one was opened) bore a Wells postmark, opened on 21 January 1799 and is still in operation.
7. Wells Beach Rur. Sta. Wells was established in 1967 and closed in 1987.
8. Wells Branch was established on 11 February 1874 and closed on 15 February 1908.
9. Wells Depot post office was established on 12 July 1844. It became Highpine post office on 14 November 1921, which closed on 30 April 1954.


In 1914 there were five post offices in Wells: Moody, Ogunquit, Webhannet, Wells (2), and Wells Depot. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Wells include:
Elms
Highpine
Kennebunk (1)
Moody
Ogunquit
Webhannet
Webhannet Rur. Sta. Wells
Wells (2)
Wells Beach Rur. Sta. Wells
Wells Branch
Wells Depot



Highpine

1921 November 14:
   The former Wells Depot post office renamed Highpine. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1932 October 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


1954 April 30:
   Highpine post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Moody

1897 February 9:
   Moody post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1917 July 13 through 1934 May 14:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.


1939 August 4 through 1950 February 18:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are a little less than 6 mm apart on center.
         ;
      Click on an image to enlarge.


1962 July 7:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
             Click on an image to enlarge.


today:
   Moody post office is still in operation.


Ogunquit

1826 May 18:
   Ogunquit post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1903 August 10 through 1905 May 18:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.


1910 August 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


1926 August 20:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


1936 July 14:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


1950 March 15:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


today:
   Ogunquit post office is still in operation.


Webhannet

1893 July 19:
   Webhannet post office opened as a summer office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1907 July 2:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


1908 July 29:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


191- August 27:
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


1917 August 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


1929 July:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


[1963 or 1969 ?] April 30:
   Webhannet post office became Webhannet Rur. Sta. Wells. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Wells (2)

21 January 1799:
   Wells (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1909 May 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


1912 August 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 23 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


1939 August 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.


today:
   Wells (2) post office is still in operation.


Wells Depot

1844 July 12:
   Wells Depot post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1915 September 1 through 1915 September 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the ficw horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.


1921 November 14:
   Wells Depot post office renamed Highpine post office.