Kennebunkport Postal History
York County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Kennebunkport include:
Arundel
Beachwood
Cape Porpoise
Cape Porpoise CPO Kennebunkport
Cape Porpoise Rur. Sta. Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
North Kennebunkport



Arundel

1821:
   Postmaster: Stephen Towne (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1821.) [Note: In 1821 the name “Arundel” applied to what is today the towns of Arundel and Kennebunkport.]


Beachwood

1895 April 11:
   Beachwood post office, a summer office, opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date:
   Beachwood post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1911 August 15:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1918 November 15:
   Beachwood post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Cape Porpoise

1866 February 3:
   Cape Porpoise post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?:
   Cape Porpoise post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Cape Porpoise post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 December 9:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1965 February 26:
   Cape Porpoise post office was changed to Cape Porpoise Rur. Sta. Kennebunkport. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Kennebunkport

1816 December 31:
   Kennebunkport post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year? September 27:
   The circular postmark is not clear enough to measure the diameter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

year? November 11:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1848 November 16:
    The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (notation)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1877 July 4:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1880 October 1:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1884 October 2:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1919 July 27:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1929 July 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 25 mm in diameter. Note that the year (toward the lower left portion of the stamp) is upside down.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1933 May 8 through 1950 March 20:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

today:
   Kennebunkport post office is still in operation.