Hollis
York County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 2 June 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Hollis, there have been seven post offices.

Briefly, the history of these seven is as follows:
1. Clark’s Mill post office operated from 2 October 1889 to 15 March 1915.
2. Hollis (2) post office operated from 17 December 1853 to 21 October 1908.
3. Hollis Center post office opened on 14 January 1846, closed on 17 December 1853, re-opened on 20 March 1854, and is still operating.
4. North Hollis post office opened on 3 March 1833, closed on 17 December 1853, re-opened on 10 April 1854, closed on 20 October 1860, re-opened on 6 September 1886, and closed on 23 June 1901.
5. Phillipsburg post office was established in 1811. It was renamed on 1 April 1812 as Hollis (1) post office, which in turn was renamed on 17 December 1853 as Bar Mills post office (in Buzton).
6. South Hollis post office opened on 3 January 1878, closed on 25 January 1878, re-opened on 4 February 1878, and closed on 27 February 1909.
7. West Hollis post office operated from 1 May 1886 to 29 June 1901.


In 1914 there were two post offices in Hollis: Clark’s Mill and Hollis Center. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Hollis include:
Clark’s Mill
Hollis (1)
Hollis (2)
Hollis Center
North Hollis
Phillipsburg
South Hollis
West Hollis



Clark’s Mill

1889 October 2:
   Clark’s Mill post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1908 July 17:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      

1915 March 15:
   Clark’s Mill post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Hollis (2)

1853 December 17:
   Hollis (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1855 June 11:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. (letter (page 1), letter (page 2)), letter (page 3), letter (page 4))
      

1908 October 21:
   Hollis (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Hollis Center

1846 January 14:
   Hollis Center post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1853 December 17:
   Hollis Center post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1854 March 20:
   Hollis Center post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1938 February 26:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      

1949 September 17 through 1950 September 8:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are just under 6 mm apart on center.
         

1965 March 15:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter; the inner, 18–20 mm.
      

today:
   Hollis Center post office is still in operation.