Eliot Postal History
York County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 24 February 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Eliot, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. East Eliot post office was established on 13 February 1826 and on 31 January 1854 was renamed as Eliot (2) post office. This was renamed on 16 December 1854 as Eliot Depot post office, which was renamed on 19 September 1870 as Eliot (2) post office, which closed on 31 May 1935. (See the last day postmark below.)
2. Eliot (1) post office was established on 15 November 1824 and on 31 January 1854 was renamed as South Eliot post office, which was renamed on 16 December 1854 as Eliot (1) post office. This was renamed on 19 September 1870 as South Eliot post office, which was renamed on 1 December 1939 as Eliot (1) post office, which is still operating.


In 1914, there were two post offices in what is now Eliot: Eliot (2) and South Eliot. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Eliot include:
East Eliot
Eliot (1)
Eliot (2)
Eliot Depot
South Eliot



Eliot (1)

1824 November 15:
   Eliot (1) post office opened, as Elliot. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1854 January 31:
   Eliot (1) post office was renamed as South Elliot post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1854 December 16:
   South Eliot post office was renamed as Elliot (1) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1870 September 19:
   Eliot (1) post office was renamed as South Eliot post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1939 December 1:
   South Eliot post office was renamed as Elliot (1) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1942 June 8:
   Christine G. Davis appointed Acting Postmaster.

1943 March 24:
   Christine G. Davis appointed Postmaster.

1948 September 23 through 1949 September 20:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1952 January 21:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1964 September 15:
   Delbert H. Spinney appointed Acting Postmaster.

1966 August 16:
   Delbert H. Spinney appointed Acting Postmaster.

1988 April 1:
   Lillian J. Buckley appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1988 April 9:
   Lillian J. Buckley appointed Postmaster.

1995 October 6:
   Paul Twomey appointed Office-in-Charge.

1995 December 9:
   Richard P. Drouin appointed Postmaster.

2004 January 6:
   Richard Coughlin appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2004 April 17:
   Albert G. Gower appointed Postmaster.

2005 September 23:
   Thomas A. Lachance appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2005 October 1:
   Thomas A. Lachance appointed Postmaster.

2009 February 6:
   Tammy A. Martel appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2011 July 16:
   Terry-Lynn W. Cressey appointed Postmaster.

2012 September 11:
   Shari A. Morin appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2013 January 26:
   Laurie M. Stewart appointed Postmaster.

2014 January 10:
   Tammy A. Martel appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2014 November 29:
   Steven J. Estes appointed Postmaster.

2015 December 15:
   Jennifer Scully appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2016 June 11:
   Marcie A. Nogueira appointed Postmaster.

today:
   Eliot (1) post office is still in operation.





Eliot (2)

1854 Janury 31:
   The former East Elliot post office was renamed as Eliot (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1854 December 16:
   Eliot (2) post office was renamed as Eliot Depot post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1870 Septeber 19:
   The former Eliot Depot post office was renamed as Eliot (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1935 May 18 through 1935 May 31 (last day for post office):
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1935 May 31:
   Eliot (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


South Eliot

1854 Janury 31:
   The former Elliot (1) post office was renamed as South Eliot post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1854 December 16:
   South Eliot post office was renamed as Eliot (1) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1870 Septeber 19:
   Eliot (1) post office was renamed as South Eliot post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1936 March 25:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1937 August 5:
   George G. Plumpton appointed Acting Postmaster.

1937 December 21:
   George G. Plumpton appointed Postmaster.

1939 December 1:
   South Eliot post office was renamed as Eliot (1) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)