Thank you for the contributions to this page from Kelvin Kindahl and from the Strout family collection.
During the history of Biddeford, there have been seven post offices.
Briefly, the history of these seven is as follows:
1. Biddeford post office opened on 21 December 1790, closed in 1802, re-opened on 28 January 1848, and is still operating.
2. Biddeford Sta. No. 1 opened on 1 April 1816 and closed on 30 June 1926.
3. Biddeford Sta. No. 2 opened on 16 April 1916 and closed on 31 March 1929.
4. Biddeford Pool post office opened on 5 December 1866 and is still operating.
5. Five Points S Biddeford opened in 1990 and closed in May 2010.
6. Fortune Rock, know locally as Fortunes Rocks, opened on 5 June 1886 and closed on 28 February 1906.
7. Saint Francis College S Biddeford opened on 1 April 1968 and closed on 8 December 1978.
In 1914, there were two post offices in Biddeford: Biddeford and Biddeford Pool. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
(click on image to enlarge)