Acton Postal History
York County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 January 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection and Al Tieman.



During the history of the town of Acton, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Acton (2) post office opened on 29 July 1833 and closed on 6 June 1853.
2. North Acton post office opened on 8 February 1851, closed on 14 December 1864, re-opened on 21 February 1867, and closed on 23 July 1873.
3. The former Shapleigh Corner post office was renamed on 24 December 1830 as Acton (1) post office. This was renamed on 29 July 1833 as Acton Corner post office, which was renamed on 28 November 1853 as Acton (1) post office. The latter is still operating.
4. South Acton post office opened on 2 March 1855, closed on 26 January 1861, re-opened on 22 August 1865, and closed on 31 March 1944.


In 1914, there were two post offices in the town of Acton: Acton (1) and South Acton. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)

      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from the town of Acton include:
Acton (1)
Acton (2)
Acton Corner
North Acton
South Acton



Acton (1)

1830 December 24:
   The former Shapleigh Corner post office was renamed as Acton (1) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1833 July 29:
   Acton (1) post office renamed as Acton Corner post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1853 November 28:
   Acton Corner post office renamed as Acton (1) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1931 June 30:
   Curtis C. Bodwell appointed Postmaster.

1932 August 11:
   Harrison Wilson appointed Acting Postmaster.

1932 December 14:
   Harrison Wilson appointed Postmaster.

1936 August 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1943 September 17:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1976 October 6:
   Edward F. McNabb appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1977 February 4:
   Elinor F. Dame appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1977 May 9:
   Edward F. McNabb appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1977 June 18:
   Martin F. Shiers appointed Postmaster.

1978 January 26:
   Jacqueline A. Provencher appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1978 July 15:
   Guy P. Langelier appointed Postmaster.

1979 December 12:
   Donald L. Cote appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1980 March 22:
   Gary M. Ouellette appointed Postmaster.

date?:
   Royal S. Smith (appointed?) Officer-in-Charge.

1984 August 18:
   Roger L. Desrochers appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1985 January 19:
   Dennis M. Jude appointed Postmaster.

1989 March 22:
   Robert Bissonnette appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1989 May 20:
   Theresa J. Hubner appointed Postmaster.

1993 January 29:
   Melanie J. Culver appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1993 April 13:
   Anthony Parvin appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1993 December 25:
   Daniel G. Lakatos appointed Postmaster.

2012 July 10:
   Kimberly A. Killer appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2012 October 10:
   Claudia L. Libby appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2012 November 17:
   Acton (1) post office converted to a Remotely Managed Post Office under the direction of the Postmaster of the Springvale post office.

today:
   Acton (1) post office is still in operation.


Acton (2)

1833 July 29:
   Acton (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1843:
   Postmaster: Jotham Brackett. (source: Maine Register and National Calendar for the year 1843.)

1853 June 6:
   Acton (2) post office closed (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Acton Corner

1833 July 29:
   The former Acton (1) post office was renamed as Acton Corner post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1843:
   Postmaster: Horace Pennell (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1843.)

1849 December 24:
   Manuscript postmark.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1853 November 28:
   Acton Corner post office was renamed as Acton (1) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)