Waite Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 October 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Waite, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of this post office is as follows:
1. Waite post office was established on 15 August 1837. On 28 March 1967, it becane Waite Rur. Sta. Danforth, which eventually became Waite CPO Danforth, and which is still operating.
In 1914, there was only one post office in the town of Waite: Waite. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge).




Postmarks from the town of Whiting include:
Waite



Waite

1837 August 15:
   Waite post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?:
   Waite post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1967 March 28
   Waite post office became Waite Rur. Sta. Danforth. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?
   Waite Rur. Sta. Danforth became Waite CPO Danforth. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

today:
   Waite CPO Danforth post office is still in operation.