Topsfield Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 19 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Topsfield, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Fuller post office opened on 19 January 1857 and closed on 23 October 1858.
2. Number Eight (1) post office opened on 15 August 1837, and on 8 May 1838 was renamed as Topsfield post office. Topsfield post office closed on 18 January 1844, re-opened on 20 February 1844, and is still operating.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Topsfield: Topsfield. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Topsfield include:
Fuller
Number Eight (1)
Topsfield



Topsfield

1838 May 8:
   Topsfield post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1844 January 18:
   Topsfield post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1844 February 20:
   Topsfield post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?:
   Topsfield post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 December 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 November 12 through 1950 July 27:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

2020:
   Topsfield post office. 61 South Road; Topsfield, Maine  04490. Lat./Long.: N 45°24′54″ x W 67°44′07″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Topsfield post office is still in operation.