Lubec Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 12 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Lubec, there have been five post offices.

Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. Lubec post office was established on 10 October 1816, as Lubeck, and is still operatinng.
2. Lubec Mills post office opened on 13 January 1848 and closed on 22 November 1869.
3. Marston post office opened on 17 May 1888 and closed on 4 February 1889.
4. North Lubec post office opened on 2 February 1870, closed on 28 December 1874, re-opened on 26 January 1875, closed on 13 February 1882, re-opened on 14 July 1884, and closed on 29 December 1975.
5. South Lubec post office opened on 14 December 1886 and closed on 30 November 1906.


In 1914, there were two post offices in the town of lubec: Lubec and North Lubec. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Lubec include:
Lubec
Lubec Mills
Marston
North Lubec
South Lubec



Lubec


1816 October 10:
   Lubec post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1850 March 28:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1857 February 9:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1913 July 28:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1934 July 7:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1939 May 1:
   The circular postmark is approximately 20 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1939 December 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

2002 October 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 14 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Lubec post office is still in operation.


North Lubec


1870 February 2:
   North Lubec post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1874 December 28:
   North Lubec post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1875 January 26:
   North Lubec post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1882 February 13:
   North Lubec post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1884 July 14:
   North Lubec post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1934 October 8 through 1935 January 7:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1975 December 29:
   North Lubec post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


South Lubec


1886 December 14:
   South Lubec post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1891 July 15:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1896 September: [date from reverse side]
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1906 November 30:
   South Lubec post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)