Jonesport Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Jonesport, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Jonesport post office opened on 5 July 1835, closed on 30 January 1844, re-opened on 15 March 1858, closed on 11 June 1860, re-opened on 30 October 1862, and is still operating.
2. Monsapec post office opened on 6 August 1896 and closed on 14 September 1904.
3. Sealand post office opened on 29 May 1913 and closed on 30 September 1937.
4. West Jonesport post office wa established on 19 February 1887 and on 4 February 1963 it was renamed as West Jonesport Rur. Sta. Jonesport, which closed on 30 April 1977.


In 1914, there were three post offices in Jonesport: Jonesport, Sealand, and West Jonesport. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Jonesport include:
Jonesport
Monsapec
Sealand
West Jonesport
West Jonesport Rur. Sta. Jonesport



Jonesport


1835 July 5:
   Jonesport post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1844 January 30:
   Jonesport post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1858 March 15:
   Jonesport post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1860 June 11:
   Jonesport post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1862 October 30:
   Jonesport post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1913 December 30 through 1914 March 8:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1927 August 22 through 1932 September 22:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter. Note that as late as September 1932, the year was upside down (see lower right image).
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

date?:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 September 18 through 1939 December 11:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1949 February 5 through 1950 July 10:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

2020:
   Jonesport post office. 193 Main Street; Jonesport, Maine  04649. Lat./Long.: N 44°31′53″ x W 67°36′04″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Jonesport post office is still in operation.


West Jonesport


1887 February 19:
   West Jonesport post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1918 December 23 through 1923 February 21:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1923 December 22 through 1925 July 7:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1950 March 24:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1963 February 4:
   West Jonesport post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)