Harrington Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 September 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Harrington, there have been six post offices.

Briefly, the history of these six is as follows:
1. Dewey post office operated from 31 May 1898 to 30 September 1903.
2. Dorman post office operated from 27 August 1901 to 15 May 1905.
3. East Harrington post office was established on 6 April 1833 and on 18 February 1850 was renamed as Harrington (2) post office. which is still in operation.
4. Harrington (1) post office operated from 21 February 1821 to 23 August 1845.
5. Marshville post office operated from 1 July 1893 to 30 September 1903.
6. West Harrington post office operated from 13 March 1876 to 14 November 1904.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Harrington: Harrington (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Harrington include:
Dewey
Dorman
East Harrington
Harrington (1)
Harrington (2)
Marshville
West Harrington



Harrington (2)


1850 February 18:
   Harrington post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1891 June 24:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
      

1899 July 1:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      

1946 June 19 through 1947 December 17:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         

2020:
   Harrington post office. 1285 Main Street; Harrington, Maine  04643
      

today:
   Harrington (2) post office is still in operation.