East Machias
Washington County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 28 March 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of East Machias, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. East Falls of Machias post office was established 4 January 1813 and was renamed on 30 June 1826 as East Machias post office. On 25 March 1840, East Machias post office was renamed as Mechisses post office, which The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide listed under Machias. Mechisses post office was renamed on 15 March 1842 as East Machias post office, which is still operating.
2. Jacksonville (2) post office operated from 1 October 1900 until June 1976.
3. Technology post office opened on 8 May 1913 and closed on 30 November 1933.


In 1914, there were three post offices in what is now East Machias: East Machias, Jacksonville (2), and Technology. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of East Machias include:
East Falls of Machias East Machias
Jacksonville (2)
Technology



East Machias


1826 June 30:
   Each Machias post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1840 March 25:
   Each Machias post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1842 March 15:
   Each Machias post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1849 November 2:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1852:
   Postmaster: W. F. Hovey (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

year? July 24:
   The circular postmark is approximately 24 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1891 April 15: [year determined from reverse]
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1902 November 4:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1934 December 20:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1949 August 30:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   East Machias post office is still in operation.


Jacksonville (2)


1900 October 1:
   Jacksonville (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1919 February 17:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The four bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1950 January 16 through 1950 February 8:
   The circular postmark is 30–33 mm in diameter. The four bars to the right of the circle are a little under 6 mm on center.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1956 October 20:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1968 October 17:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1976 June:
   Jacksonville (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)