Columbia Falls Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection:



During the history of the town of Columbia Falls, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of this one is as follows:
1. The former Columbia (1) post office was renamed on 11 May 1876 as Columbia Falls post office, which is still in operation.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Columbia Falls: Columbia Falls. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Columbia Falls include:
Columbia Falls



Columbia Falls


1876 May 11:
   Columbia Falls post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year? July 17:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      

193- May 3:
   The circular postmark is 29–31 mm in diameter.
      

1946 November 11 through 1949 August 19:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm.
         

1950 August 19:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
      

2020:
   Columbia Falls post office. 169 Maine Street; Columbia Falls, Maine  04623; Lat./Long.: N 44°39′11″ x W 67°43′40″
      

today:
   Columbia Falls post office is still in operation.