Cherryfield Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 26 July 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Cherryfield, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of these one is as follows:
1. The former Narraguagus (Milbridge) post office was renamed as Cherryfield post office, which is still operating.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Cherryfield: Cherryfield. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Cherryfield include:
Cherryfield



Cherryfield


1870 December 8:
   The former Narraguagus post office (in Milbridge) became renamed as Cherryfield post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1898 March 7:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1900 May 14:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Cherryfied post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 December 11:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 27–29 mm in diameter; the inner, 18–19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1946 December 18 through 1950 June 28:
   The circular postmark is 23–24 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

2020:
   Cherryfield post office. 14 Municipal Way; Cherryfield, Maine  . Lat./Long.: N 44°35′52″ x W 67°55′07″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Cherryfield post office is still in operation.