Calais Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 10 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the city of Calais, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Schoodick Falls post office was established on 12 February 1807 an was renamed on 1 July 1809 as Calais post office, which is still operating.
2. Milltown post office opened on 10 February 1827, closed on 11 April 1835, and re-opened on 24 April 1837. On 31 December 1909, Milltown post office was renamed as Milltown Sta. Calais and is still operating.
3. Red Beach post office was established on 5 March 1850, was renamed on 12 February 1965 as Red Beach Ind. Rur. Sta. Robbinston, and closed on 6 July 1984.


In 1914, there were three post offices in Calais: Calais, Milltown Sta. Calais, and Red Beach. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Calais include:
Calais
Milltown
Milltown Sta. Calais
Milltown CPO Calais
Red Beach
Red Beach Ind. Rur. Sta. Robbinston Schoodick Falls



Calais


1809 July 1:
   The former Schoodick Falls post office was renamed as Calais post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1829 October 23:
   Straight-line postmark. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1833 March 28 through 1834 February 15:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1841 March 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1842 August 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1843 December 7:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1845 July 13:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1851 March 20:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1851 May 1:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

year? April 19:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1852:
   Postmaster: B. M. Flint (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1863 December 21:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 19–21 mm in diameter; the inner, 12–13 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1889 October 21 through 1895 December 2:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1905 August 13:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1939 December 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 26 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1965 May 7:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter; the inner, 13–15 mm..
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Calais post office is still in operation.


Milltown

1827 February 10:
   Milltown post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1834 October 11:
   Blue half-circle postmark. (letter (page 1); letter (page 2))
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1835 April 11:
   Milltown post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1837 April 24:
   Milltown post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1839 March 29:
   Black half-circle postmark. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1845 October 18:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1849 November 8:
    The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1852:
   Postmaster: J. C. Dutch (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1909 December 31:
   Milltown post office was renamed as Milltown Sta. Calais post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



Milltown Sta. Calais


1909 December 31:
   The former Milltown post office was renamed as Milltown Sta. Calais post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1938 May 4 through 1949 November 9:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1939 December 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 25 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on an image to enlarge.

today:
   Milltown Sta. Calais post office is still in operation.


Red Beach


1850 March 5:
   Red Beach post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: Joseph T. Bergen. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1935 September 23:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1965 February 12:
   Red Beach post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)