Baileyville Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 1 December 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Baileyville, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Baileyville post office opened on 15 December 1832, closed on 29 July 1833, re-opened on 4 September 1837, closed on 18 October 1855, re-opened on 29 June 1857, closed on 10 August 1887, re-opened on 26 April 1888, closed on 30 April 1896, re-opened on 13 December 1899, and closed on 30 November 1903.
2. Kellyland post office opened in 1918 and closed on 15 February 1940.
3. North Baileyville post office opened on 16 May 1879 and closed on 1 December 1881.
4. Sprague’s Falls post office opened on 26 February 1847, closed on 21 July 1857, re-opened on 26 March 1903, and on 19 October 1905 was renamed as Woodland (2) post office, which is still operating.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Baileyville: Woodland (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Baileyville include:
Baileyville
Kellyland
North Baileyville
Sprague’s Falls Woodland (2)



Woodland (2)


1905 October 19:
   Woodland (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1947 August 14 through 1947 August 25:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

2020:
   Woodland (2) post office. 667 Houlton Road, Ste. 1; Baileyville, Maine  04694. Lat./Long.: N 45°08′48″ x W 67°23′55″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Woodland (2) post office is still in operation.