Washington County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 18 February 2019)
Durinng the history of the town of Alexander, there have been three post offices.
Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Alexander (1) post office operated from 10 December 1832 until 19 December 1861.
2. Alenxander Centre post office opened on 14 July 1862 and closed on 20 November 1865.
3. Lane’s Brook post office was established on 2 December 1854 and was renamed on 3 February 1862 as Alexander (2) post office, which closed on 2 April 1943.
In 1914, there was only Alexander (2) post office in Alexander. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Alexander include:
1862 February 3:
The former Lane’s Brook post office was renamed as Alexander (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1934 [month?] 23:
The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
1943 April 2:
Alexander (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)