Addison Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 January 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Addison, there have been seven post offices.

Briefly, the history of these seven is as follows:
1. Addison Point post office opened on 5 May 1828 and was renamed on 1 September 1900 as Addison post office, which is still operating.
2. Basin post office opened on 27 February 1900 and closed on 15 January 1907.
3. Dalotville post office opened on 18 November 1892 and closed on 1 January 1895.
4. Indian River post office opened on 11 March 1837, closed on 4 November 1837, re-opened on 17 February 1848, and closed on 15 November 1933.
5. Seaside post office opened on 5 July 1899 and closed on 15 January 1907.
6. South Addison post office opened on 30 March 1883 and closed on 15 January 1907.
7. Wescogus post office opened on 22 January 1895 and closed on 15 January 1907.


In 1914, there were two post offices in the town of Addison: Addison and Indian River. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)

      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from the town of Addison include:
Addison
Addison Point
Basin
Dalotville
Indian River
Seaside
South Addison
Wescogus



Addison

1900 September 1:
   The former Addison Point post office was renamed as Addison post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1910 August 18:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Addison post office prior to the one that was built around 1960.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 July 2:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are 5–6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1935 January 22:
   Raymond S. Joy appointed Acting Postmaster.

1935 August 13:
   Raymond S. Joy appointed Postmaster.

1950 December 1:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the circle is approximately 35 mm tall and is composed of 4 parallel bars above the numeral (1 on this cover) and 4 below.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1952 July 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1967 October 20:
   John W. Perry appointed Acting Postmaster.

1968 October 2:
   John W. Perry appointed Postmaster.

date?:
   Bernie R. Hawbaker (appointed?) Officer-in-Charge.

1985 May 11:
   Bernice E. Look appointed Postmaster.

2003 November 26:
   Ed Gosnell appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2005 April 16:
   Bonnie L. Vasil appointed Postmaster.

2006 January 13:
   Joan M. Cartledge appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2006 August 2:
   Teresa C. Beal appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2007 May 12:
   Teresa C. Beal appointed Postmaster.

2014 October 1:
   R. Edward Goesnell appointed Officer-in-Charged.

2014 November 15:
   Addison post office was converted to a Remotely Managed Post Office under the direction of the Postmaster of the Machias post office.

2020:
   Addison post office. 297 Water Street; Addison, Maine  04606. Lat./Long.: N 44°37′06″ x W 67°44′42″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Addison post office is still in operation.


Addison Point

1828 May 5:
   Addison Point post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1845 June 21:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1900 September 1:
   Addison Point post office was renamed as Addison post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Basin

1900 February 27:
   Basin post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1900 September 11:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1907 January 15:
   Basin post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Indian River

1837 March 11:
   Indian River post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1837 November 4:
   Indian River post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1848 February 17:
   Indian River post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1851 April 23:
   Straight-line postmark. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1851 July 2:
   Straight-line postmark. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1852:
   Postmaster: A. K. McKenzie (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1933 November 15:
   Indian River post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


South Addison

1883 March 30:
   South Addison post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year? August 4:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1907 January 15:
   South Addison post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)