Winterport Postal History
Waldo County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 22 July 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Winterport there have been five post offices.

Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. Ellingwood Corner operated from 22 February 1849 to 14 September 1904.
2. Frankfort (1) post office was established on 8 September 1800 and was renamed on 17 March 1860 as Winterport post office, which is still operating.
3. North Frakfort post office was renamed on 19 July 1860 as North Winterport post office, which closed on 23 August 1889, re-opened on 21 November 1889, and closed 28 February 1902.
4. West Winterport post office opened on 13 December 1861 and closed on 28 February 1902.
5. White’s Corner post office opened on 22 April 1865, closed on 14 January 1876, re-opened on 3 April 1876, and closed on 14 September 1904.


In 1914, there was only one post office in what is now Winterport: Winterport. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Winterport include:
Ellingwood Corner
Frankfort (1)
North Winterport
West Winterport
White’s Corner
Winterport



Ellingwood Corner


1849 February 22
   Ellingwood Corner post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
   Ellingwood Corner post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1904 September 14:
   Ellingwood Corner post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Frankfort (1)


1800 September 8:
   Frankfort (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1835 September 26:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter [page 1a]; letter [page 1b]; letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1840 February 7:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1860 March 17:
   Frankfort (1) post office was renamed as Winterport post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Winterport


1860 March 17
   Frankfort (1) post office was renamed as Winterport post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
   Winterport post office. 400 South Main Street; Winterport, Maine. 04496.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Winterport post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Winterport post office is still in operation.