Frankfort Postal History
Waldo County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975

(updated 21 February 2021)

Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.

Postmarks from the town of Frankfort include:
Frankfort (2)
Frankfort Mills North Frankfort
West Frankfort

Frankfort (2)

1867 August 22:
   Frankfort (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1843 August 10 [This is possibly Frankfort (1) in Winterport.]
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1]; letter [page 2];) letter [page 3];

1938 May 5 through 1941 September 25:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are just under 6 mm on center.

   Frankfort (2) post office.

1939 December 6:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19.

1954 December 21:
   The circular postmark is approximately 34 mm in diameter.

   Frankfort (2) post office. 48b Main Road; South Frankfort, Maine 04438. Lat./Long.: N 44°36′27″ x W 68°52′25″.
      (click on image to enlarge)

   Frankfort (2) post office is still in operation.