Brooks Postal History
Waldo County, Maine

a projecg of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 23 September 2020)


Thank you for contributions to the page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Brooks, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Brooks post office was established on 14 January 1819 and is still operating.
2. South Brooks post office operated from 8 September 1851 until 30 September 1902.


In 1914, there was only the Brooks post office in the town of Brooks. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from the town of Brooks include:
Brooks
South Brooks



Brooks


1819 January 14:
   Brooks post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1893 January 4: [year from reverse side]
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1935 February 11:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Brooks post office. 20 Purple Heart Highway; Brooks, Maine 04921. Lat./Long.: N 44°335′08″ x W 69°07′27″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Brooks post office remains in operation.