Norridgewock postal history
Somerset County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 15 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Norridgewock, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history o these three is as follows:
1. Norridgewock (1) post office operated from 2 October 1795 until 15 May 1902.
2. North Norridgewock post office operated from 1833 to 1834.
3. South Norridgewock post office was established on 13 July 1833 and was renamed on 10 May 1849 as Oosoola post office, which was renamed on 24 January 1856 as South Norridgewock post office. This was renamed on 16 December 1902 as Norridgewock (2) post office, which is still operating.


In 1914, there was only one post office in what is now Norridgewock: Norridgewock (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Norridgewock include:
Norridgewock (1)
Norridgewock (2)
North Norridgewock
Oosoola
South Norridgewock



Norridgewock (1)


1795 October 2:
   Norridgewock (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1824 December 23:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1902 May 15:
   Norridgewock (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Norridgewock (2)


1902 December 16:
   Norridgewock (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1933 September 30:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1939 December 9:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1948 October 2 through 1950 July 15:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

today:
   Norridgewock (2) post office is still in operation.


South Norridgewock


1833 July 13:
   South Norridgewock post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1849 May 10:
   South Norridgewock post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1856 January 24:
   South Norridgewock post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year? August 20:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1889 April 27:
   The circular postmark is 22–23 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1894 May 16 through 1894 June 23:
   The circular postmark is 22–23 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1902 December 16:
   South Norridgewock post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)