New Portland Postal History
Somerset County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 14 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of New Portland, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. East New Portland post office opened on 24 May 1830 and closed on 8 September 1967.
2. New Portlaand post office was established on 8 January 1819 and in March 1984 was renamed as New Portland CPO North New Portland, which is still operating.
3. North New Portland, a private office, opened on 21 January 1833 and is still operating.


In 1914, there were three post offices in New Portland: East New Portland, New Portland, and North New Portland. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of New Portland include:
East New Portland
New Portland
New Portland CPO North New Portland
North New Portland



New Portland


1819 January 8:
   New Portland post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1839 August 20:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter (page 1), letter (page 2))
      

1846 July 5:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation 1, notation 2; letter)
      

1935 February 14:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter.
      

1984 March:
   New Portland post office was renamed as New Portland CPO North New Portland. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

2020:
   New Portland post office. 186 Meadow Brook Road; New Portland, Maine 04961. Lat./Long.: N 44°55′15″ x W 70°00′53″
      


North New Portland


1833 January 21:
   North New Portland post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1847 January 9:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter (page 1 [top]), letter (page 1 [bottom]), letter (page 2))
      

1851 April 8:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation); letter))
      

1934 October 25 through 1940 December 20:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
         

1949 March 5 through 1950 February:
   The circular postmark is 29–31 mm in diameter.
         

today:
   North New Portland post office is still in operation.