Somerset County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04679
(updated 18 February 2019)
Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Anson, there have been three post offices.
Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Anson (1) post office was established on 3 January 1811 and was renamed on 11 July 1845 as North Anson post office, which is still operating.
2. South Anson post office was established on 16 February 1833 and was renamed on 23 February 1847 as Anson (2) post office. Anson (2) post office closed on 16 March 1854, re-opened on 5 January 1855, and is still operating.
3. West Anson post office operated from 2 October 1849 until 21 February 1867 and again from 20 December 1869 until 10 May 1870.
In 1914, there were two post offices in Anson: Anson (2) and North Anson. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Anson include:
1845 February 23:
Anson (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1845 July 11:
Anson (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1855 January 6:
Anson (2) post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1933 October 23:
The circular postmark is 28–30 mm in diameter.
1950 March 11 through 1950 December 12:
The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the circle is 32–33 mm tall and is composed of 4 horizontal bars above the numeral and 4 horizontal bars below.
1962 November 7:
The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
The rectangular postmark is approximately 44 mm wide and 19–20 mm high.
Anson (2) post office is still in operation.