Georgetown
Sagadahoc County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 2 April 2019)




During the history of the town of Georgetown, there have been eight post offices. Because three of these eight bore (at different times) the name Georgetown in their postmarks, they are designated below as Georgetown (1), Georgetown (2), and Georgetown (3).

Briefly, the history of these eight is as follows:
1. Bay Point was a summer office. It was established on 2 August 1889, closed on 14 November 1896, re-opened on 23 July 1902, and closed on 30 June 1937. A 1941 cover has reportedly been seen.
2. Five Islands (2) was established on 24 July 1882. Its closing date has not been found. Completely unrelated is Five Islands (1), which was the forerunner of Winn post office in Penobscot County.
3. Georgetown (1) was established on 5 May 1775 and closed on 5 October of 1775. It re-opened on 7 October 1777 and was discontinued in late 1778. This was the forerunner of Bath post office.
4. Georgetown (2) was established on 9 February 1801 and on 4 May 1815, it became Phippsburgh post office.
5. Georgetown (3) was established on 22 July 1835, closed on 21 July 1869, re-opened on 6 July 1870, and is in operation today.
6. Macmahan post office was established on 11 May 1900. On 31 March 1931, it changed to Macmahan Rur. Sta. Bath, which in 1986 became Macmahan CPO Five Islands, which in turn became Macmahan CPO Georgetown and is still in operation.
7. North Georgetown was established on 22 June 1874. On 12 November 1886, it became Riggsville, which became Robinhood on 5 October 1916. Robinhood post office closed on 31 May 1960.
8. West Georgetown post office operated from its establishment on 17 June 1911 until its closing on 15 December 1927.


In 1914 there were five post offices in Georgetown: Bay Point, Georgetown (3), Macmahan, Riggsville, and West Georgetown. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Georgetown include:
Bay Point
Five Islands (2)
Georgetown (1)
Georgetown (2)
Georgetown (3)
Macmahan
Macmahan CPO Five Islands
Macmahan CPO Georgetown
Macmahan Rur. Sta. Bath
North Georgetown
Riggsville
Robinhood
West Georgetown



Bay Point


1889 August 2:
   Baypoint post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1896 November 14:
   Bay Point post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1902 July 23:
   Bay Point post office reopened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1934 August 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 4 mm apart on center.
      

1937 June 30:
   Bay Point post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Five Islands (2)


1882 July 24:
   Five Islands (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1950 December 1:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle 18–19 mm.
      

date?:
   Five Islands (2) post office closed.


Georgetown (3)


1835 July 22:
   Georgetown (3) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1869 July 21:
   Georgetown (3) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1870 July 6:
   Georgetown (3) post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1935 September 19:
   The circular postmark is 29–31 mm in diameter.
      

today:
   Georgetown (3) post office is still in operation.


Macmahan


1900 May 11:
   Macmahan post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1900 August 24:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter. The target is approximately 17 mm in diameter.
      

1935 September 21:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter.
      

1961 March 31:
   Macmahan post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Robinhood


1916 October 5:
   Robinhood post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1935 September 19:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter.
      

1960 May 31:
   Robinhood post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)