Bath
Sagadahoc County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 April 2019)


Thank you for contributions to this page from Roland Simard and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the city of Bath, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Bath post office was established on 21 December 1790 and is still in operation.
2. Bath Sta. No. 1 earliest known postmark is 8 May 1934. Its closure date needs research.
3. North Bath post office opened on 16 July 1890 and closed on 9 August 1898.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Bath: Bath. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      




Postmarks from the town of Bath include:
Bath
Bath Sta. No. 1
North Bath



Bath


1790 December 21:
   Bath post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1807 November 6: [year determined from contents]
   The rectangular postmark is 5 mm high and 47 mm wide.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1833 October 1: [year determined from contents]
   The rectangular postmark is 2.5 mm high and 39 mm wide.
      
      Click on image to enlarge (for more images of this item, see image 1, image 2, image 3, image 4, and image 5.)

year? August 11:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1852:
   Postmaster: Rufus R. Haines. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1875 November 8: [year determined from reverse side]
   The circular postmark is approximately 23 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1883 January 6 through 1883 August 17:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1885 January 28 through 1887 May 19: [years determined by reverse side]
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1895 June 5:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the circle is approximately 32 mm tall and 19 mm wide.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1914 February 2 through 1918 May 29:
   The circular postmark is 21–23 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1940 May 15:
   The circular postmark is 24–25 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1944 June 26:
   Machine cancellation with a circular postmark of 20–21 mm in diameter and to the right of the postmark a cancellation of a set of 6 wavy horizontal lines separated by just over 3 mm on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1949 August 1 through 1950 December 17:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the circle is approximately 34 mm tall and 13 mm wide. The consistency of distance between the postmark and the cancellation suggests that they are part of a single unit.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1956 October 11 through 1960 December 26:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1964 June 3:
   The outer circle of the postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter; the inner circle, approximately 17 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Bath post office is still in operation.


Bath Sta. No. 1


1934 May 8:
   Bath Sta. No. 1 post office earliest known use. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?:
   Bath Sta. No. 1 post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


North Bath


1890 July 16:
   North Bath post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1898 August 9:
   North Bath post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)