Dover-Foxcroft Postal History
Piscataquis County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 23 April 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Roland Simard, and the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Dover-Foxcroft include:
Dover
Dover-Foxcroft
Dover South Mills
East Dover
Foxcroft
Merrick Sq. Sta. Dover-Foxcroft
South Dover
West Dover



Dover

1823 November 14:
   Dover post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?:
   Dover post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1901 February 25 through 1904 August 13:
   The circular postmark is 28–30 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1922 December 1:
   Dover post office became renamed as Dover-Foxcroft post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Dover-Foxcroft

1922 December 1:
   The former Dover post office became renamed as Dover-Foxcroft post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1927 January 14 through 1944 March 29:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1949 November 26:
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Dover-Foxcroft post office is still in operation.


East Dover

1839 October 19:
   East Dover post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1935 February 6:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1955 March 31:
   East Dover post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Foxcroft

1821 June 19:
   Foxcroft post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1838 October 9:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1840 February 4:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1845 May 17:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1850 August 31?:
   Very faint stemped circular postmark. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1851 January 23:
   Faint stemped circular postmark. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1881 December 26:
   The circular postmark is 27 mm in diameter. Postmaster was H. C. Purington.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1905 February 7:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

191- February 21:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1917 October 31:
   Foxcroft post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


South Dover

1835 September 5:
   South Dover post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1898 April 8: [year determined from reverse]
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1903 March 31:
   South Dover post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)