Blanchard Township Postal History
Piscataquis County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 23 April 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Cheryl Willis Patten, and the Strout family collection.



During the history of Blanchard Township. there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these post office is as follows:
1. Blanchard post office opened on 20 February 1832 and closed on 30 June 1955.
2. North Blanchard post office opened on 18 July 1900 and closed on 15 February 1919.


In 1914, there were two post offices in what is now Blanchard Township: Blanchard and North Blanchard. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Blanchard Township include:
Blanchard
North Blanchard



Blanchard



1832 February 20:
   Blanchard post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1838 March 10:
   Manuscript postmark (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1907 January:
   The circular postmark approximately 25 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Blanchard post office
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1955 June 30:
   Blanchard post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)