Winn Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 22 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Winn, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. East Winn post office opened on 15 April 1872 and closed on 30 April 1941.
2. Five Islands (1) post office opened on 9 December 1852 and on 14 May 1857 was renamed as Winn post office, which closed on 22 April 1858. It re-opened on 11 October 1859 and is still in operation.
3. The former North Lincoln post office was renamed on 11 December 1858 as North Winn post office, which, in turn, was renamed on 11 January 1859 as South Winn post office. The South Winn post office closed on 14 November 1865, re-opened on 29 November 1865, closed on 29 Novembeer 1870, re-opened on 9 February 1874, and closed on 21 May 1875.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Winn: East Winn and Winn. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Winn include:
East Winn
Five Islands (1) North Winn
South Winn
Winn



Winn


1857 May 14:
   Five Islands (1) post office was renamed as Winn post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1858 April 22:
   Winn post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1859 October 11:
   Winn post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

2020:
   Winn post office. 986 Route 2; Winn, Maine 04495. Lat./Long.: N 45°29′06″ x W 68°22′27″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Winn post office is still in operation.