Maxfield Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 November 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Naxfield, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Maxfield (1) post office opened on 24 November 1824 and closed on 20 March 1854.
2. South Maxfield post office opened on 10 April 1850, and on 20 March 1854 was renamed Maxfield (2) post office, which closed on 30 April 1908


In 1914, there were no post offices in Maxfield. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from the town of Maxfield include:
Maxfield (1)
Maxfield (2)
South Maxfield



Maxfield (2)

1854 March 20:
   The former South Maxfield post office was renamed as Maxfield (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1905 August 24:
   The circular postmark is 27.5 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1907 October 28:
   The circular postmark is 31 mm in diameter, and to its right is a Doane 3/1 killer.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1908 April 30:
   Maxfield (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)