Hudson Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 30 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Hudson, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. The former Pushaw (1) post office was renamed on 3 July 1828 as Kirkland post office, which was renamed on 6 April 1855 as the Hudson post office. The Hudson post office closed on 30 September 1903, re-opened on 24 June 1926, and is still operating.
2. South Hudson post office opened on 26 June and closed on 30 September 1903.

In 1914, there were no post offices in Hudson.




Postmarks from the town of Hudson include:
Hudson
Kirkland
South Hudson



Hudson

1855 April 6:
   Hudson post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1888 February 10:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1888 April 24: [month determined from reverse]
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1903 September 30:
   Hudson post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1926 June 24:
   Hudson post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

2020:
   Hudson post office. 29 Old Town Road; Hudson, Maine   04449. Lat./Long.: N 45°00′02″ x W 69°52′59″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Hudson post office is still in operation.