Hampden Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 28 January 2021)


Thank you for the contriutions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Hampden include:
East Hampden
East Hampden Br. Bangor
Eastern Maine
Hampden
Hampden Center
Hampden Corner
Hampden Highlands
Nealey’s Corner
North Hampden
South Hampden (1)
South Hampden (2)
West Hampden



Hampden


1800 September 5:
   Hampden post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1821:
   Postmaster: Martin Kinsley (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1821.)

year? August 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 26 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Hampden post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 December 9 through 1944 January 1:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

ca. 1960:
   Hampden post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1976:
   Hampden post office. 04444. This office was located at the Hampden Shopping next to Lounsbury Shop n Save.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Hampden post office. 114 Western Avenue; Hampden, Maine  04444. Lat./Long.: N 44°44′00″ x W 68°50′43″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Hampden post office is still in operation.


Hampden Corner


1853 February 24:
   The former South Hampden (1) post office was renamed Hampden Corner post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1907 July 13 through 1909 September 7:
   The circular postmark is 30–33 mm in diameter. (image side of card below left)
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1909 July 22:
   Hampden Corner post office was renamed as Hampden Highlands post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.) But see right-hand cover immediately above.


Hampden Highlands


1909 July 22:
   Hampden Corner post office became named Hampden Highlands post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1910:
   Hampden Highlands (Lower Corner) post office. The man is rural carrier Henry Stevenson, and the women is Winifred Smith, the Postmistress.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1910 August 1:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1914 December 18:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

ca. 1960:
   Hamden Highlands post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1982 February:
   Hampden Highlands post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


West Hampden


1840 May 19:
   West Hampden post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1842 May 31:
   West Hampden post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1851 January 6:
   West Hampden post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1889 May 14: [year determined from reverse side]
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1904 November 30:
   West Hampden post office closed. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.) But see right-hand cover immediately above.