Enfield Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 24 October 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Enfield, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. The former East Howland post office, which was established on 31 March 1829, was renamed on 2 May 1885 as Enfield (1) post office, which closed on 6 February 1844.
2. Treat’s Mills post office opened on 19 January 1833 and was renamed on 6 February 1844 as Enfield (2) post office, which is still operating.
3. Montague post office was established on 29 October 1888, and on [14 or 19?] January 1904 was renamed as West Enfield (2) post office, which is still operating.
4. West Enfield (1) post office opened on 6 February 1844, closed on 15 November 1844, re-opened on 6 December 1844, closed on 16 October 1845, re-opened on 31 January 1850, closed on 30 April 1855, re-opened on 10 July 1855, and closed on 18 January 1875.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Enfield: Enfield (2) and West Enfield (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Enfield include:
East Howland
Enfield (1)
Enfield (2)
Montague
Treat’s Mills
West Enfield (1)
West Enfield (2)



Enfield (2)

1844 February 6:
   Enfield (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1934 November 12:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter.
      

1939 December 8:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      

1956 October 15 through 1956 October 16:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter.
         

today:
   Enfield (2) post office is still in operation.


Montague

1888 November 29:
   Montague post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1893 October 25:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
      

1904 January 19:
   Montague post office renamed as West Enfield (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


West Enfield (2)

1904 January [14 or 19?]:
   Montague post office was renamed as West Enfield (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

2020:
   West Enfield (2) post office. 41 Bacon Street; West Enfield, Maine  04493. Lat./Long.: N 45°14′14″ x W 68°38′50″
      

today:
   West Enfield (2) post office is still in operation.