Eddington Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 27 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Eddington, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. East Eddington post office was established on 11 January 1840, and was renamed on 24 January 1996 as Eddington (2) post office, which is still operating.
2. Eddington (1) post office opened on 5 September 1800 and closed on 15 February 1912.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Eddington: East Eddington. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Eddington include:
East Eddington
Eddington (1)
Eddington (2)



East Eddington

1840 January 11:
   East Eddington post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1901 February 7:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      

1941 September 17:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1996 January 24:
   East Eddington post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Eddington (2)

1996 January 24:
   The former East Eddington post office was renamed as Eddington (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

2020:
   Eddington (2) post office. 1042 Main Road; Eddington, Maine  04428. Lat./Long.: N 44°48′28″ x W 68°36′41″
      

today:
   Eddington (2) post office is still in operation.