Argyle Township Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 23 May 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of Argyle Township, there have been five post offices: Argyle (1), Argyle (2), Riverton, South Argyle, and West Argyle.

Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. Argyle (1) was established on 22 June 1832 and was renamed on 19 January 1839 as Greenbush post office.
2. Argyle (2) post office opened on 18 February 1846 and closed on 30 April 1917.
3. Riverton post office operated from 1 June 1901 to 31 May 1909. 4. South Argyle post office operated from 26 February 1873 to 14 May 1873.
5. West Argyle (1) was established on 29 September 1835 and was renamed on 30 January 1846 as Alton post office.


In 1914, there was only one post office in what is now Argyle Township: Argyle (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from Argyle Township include:
Argyle (1)
Argyle (2)
Riverton
South Argyle
West Argyle



Argyle (2)

1846 February 18:
   Argyle (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1912 December 23:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm.
      

1917 April 30:
   Argyle (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)