Rumford Postal History
Oxford County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 23 November 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Rumford include:
East Rumford
Littlefield
North Rumford
Rumford (1)
Rumford (2)
Rumford (3)
Rumford Center
Rumford Corner
Rumford Falls
Rumford Point
Rumford Sta. No. 1
Rumford Sta. No. 2
South Rumford
Zircon



Rumford (3)


1908 April 17:
   Rumford (3) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1912 August 31:
   Rumford (3) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1916 March 22:
   Rumford (3) post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1933 December 23 through 1943 December 21:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1939 December 4:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 December 1:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Rumford (3) post office. 137 Congress Street; Rumford, Maine  04276. Lat./Long.: N 44°32′46″ x W 70°32′45″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Rumford (3) post office is still in operation.


Rumford Center


1849 August 1:
   Rumford Center post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date:
   Rumford Center post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Rumford Center post office is still in operation.


Rumford Corner


1908 March 18:
   The former Rumford (2) post office was renamed Rumford Corner post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1912 June 13:
   The circular postmark is 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1912 August 31:
   The Rumford Corner post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Rumford Falls


1892 June 28:
   Rumford Falls post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1893 August 21:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1904 August 13:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1908 April 17:
   Rumford Falls post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Rumford Point


1850 June 20:
   Rumford Point post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1949 December 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Rumford Point post office is still in operation.