Fryeburg Postal History
Oxford County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 24 November 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Fryeburg include:
East Fryeburg
Fryeburg
Fryeburg Centre (1)
Fryeburg Center (2)
Harbor
North Fryeburg
South Chatham Rur. Sta. Fryeburg
West Fryeburg



Fryeburg


1797 August 24:
   Fryeburg post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1832 February 1:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1835 March 3:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1835 September 16:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1840 May 4:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter [page 1, top], letter [page 1, bottom], letter [page 2, top], letter [page 2, bottom], letter [page 3, top], letter [page 3, bottom], letter [page 4])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1840? June 5:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter [page 1, top], letter [page 1, bottom], letter [page 2, top], letter [page 2, bottom], letter [page 3, top], letter [page 3, bottom])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1841 March 12:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1841 December 15:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1842 June 29:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1842 July 18:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3], letter [page 4])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1843 November 10:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3], letter [page 4])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1843 December 8:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1843 December 25:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1844 February 26:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3], letter [page 4], letter [page 5])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1847 March 18:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1847 December 27:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1850 January 23:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

year? October 14:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1887 July 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1890 August 18:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Fryeburg post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1931 November 17:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1931 February through 1932 May 20:
   The circular postmark is approximately 22 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1932 June 9:
   First day at new post office. The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1933 May 1 through 1935 July 1:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1940? March 5:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 July through 1950 February 8:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1965 April 10:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Fryeburg post office is still in operation.


Fryeburg Center (2)


1857 July 28:
   Fryeburg Center (2) post office opened (as “Fryeburg Centre” (2)). (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1863 April 28:
   Fryeburg Center (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1864 May 12:
   Fryeburg Center (2) post office re-opened (as “Fryeburg Centre” (2). (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1889 August 8:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter; the inner, approximately 20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1894 December 18:
   Spelling changed from “Fryeburg Centre” to “Fryeburg Center”. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
   Fryeburg Center (2) post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1911 January 31:
   Fryeburg Center (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


North Fryeburg


1838 January 23:
   North Fryeburg post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1949 May 3 through 1950 October 20:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1978 November 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   North Fryeburg post office is still in operation.


West Fryeburg


1888 June 5:
   West Fryeburg post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1892 June 25:
   The circular postmark is 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1911 June 30:
   West Fryeburg post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)