Oxford County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 17 February 2019)
Thank you for contributions to this page from Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Andover, there have been three post offices.
Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Andover post office was established on 18 August 1824 and is still operating.
2. East Andover post office was established 27 April 1900 and is still operating.
3. South Andover post office operated from 27 May 1851 until 15 October 1932.
In 1914, there were three post offices in the town of Andover: Andover, East Andover, and South Andover. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Andover include:
1824 August 18:
Andover post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
Postmaster: Ezekiel Merrill. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)
year? October 8:
The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
1913 April 11:
The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
1932 October 3:
The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the circle is approximately 28 mm high and is composed of 9 horizontal segments.
1935 July 8 through 1938 September 20:
The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
1949 November 18:
The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
Andover post office is still in operation.