Wiscasset Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 30 March 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Roland Simard, and the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Wiscasset, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of this one is as follows:
1. The former Pownalborough post office was renamed on 5 April 1789 as Wiscasset post office, which is still in operation.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Wiscasset: Wiscasset. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




The sole known postmark from the town of Wiscasset is:
Wiscasset



Wiscasset


1789 April 5:
   The former Pownalborough post office was renamed as Wiscasset post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1795 April 23:
   Only striaght line known for Wiscasset. From Sterling Dow’s Maine Postal History and Postmarks. Sent by collector of Customs to the collector of Customs in Bath. Neither had franking privileges.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1835 March 11:
   The circular postmark is too faint to measure accurately. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1844 February 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1846 April 20:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1848 March 28:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1850 February 13:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

year? February 14:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1871 Mqy 30:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 25ᰫ26 mm in diameter; the inner, 13–14 mm. (reverse side of cover)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1895 September 9:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 January 25:
   The circular postmark is 23 mm in diameter. The flag is 63 mm long.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1940 February 7 through 1950 March 4:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1940 March 11:
   The circular postmark is 22–23 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the seven horizontal lines to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1965 March 4:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Wiscasset post office. 140 Main Street; Wiscasset, Maine  04578. Lat./Long.: N 44°00′09″ x W 69°39′58″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Wiscasset post office is still in operation.