Whitefield Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 30 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Whitefield, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Ballstown post office never opened although listed in the Rarity Guide as 2 February 1807 to 1809.
2. Coopers Mills post office opened on 23 September 1828 and is still operating.
3. Joice post office opened on 26 June 1882 and closed on 28 February 1907.
4. North Whitefield post office opened on 18 April 1828 and on 1 February 1993 was renamed as Whitefield (2) post office, which is still in operation.


In 1914, there were three post offices in Whitefield: Coopers Mills, North Whitefield, and Whitefield (1). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Whitefield include:
Ballstown
Coopers Mills
Joice
North Whitefield
Whitefield (1)
Whitefield (2)



Coopers Mills


1828 September 23:
   Coopers Mills post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1949 September 13 through 1962 November 20:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

2020:
   Coopers Mills post office. 128 Main Street; Coopers Mills, Maine  04341. Lat./Long.: N 44°15′33″ x W 69°33′10″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Coopers Mills post office is still in operation.


North Whitefield


1828 April 18:
   North Whitefield post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 November 5:
   The circular postmark is 28–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1993 February 1:
   North Whitefield post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Whitefield (1)


1807 February 2:
   Whitefield (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1949 December 7:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1990 November:
   Whitefield (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Whitefield (2)


1993 February 1:
   North Whitefield post office was renamed as Whitefield (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

2020:
   Whitefield (2) post office. 32 Jefferson Road; Whitefield, Maine  04353. Lat./Long.: N 44°13′15″ x W 69°35′05″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Whitefield (2) post office is still in operation.