Waldoboro Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 5 December 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Waldoboro, there have been nine post offices.

Briefly, the history of these nine is as follows:
1. Broad Bay post office opened on 20 February 1890 and closed on 13 October 1904.
2. Dutch Neck post office opened on 14 October 1899 and closed on 28 February 1907.
3. Feyler’s Corner post office opened on 29 June 1878 and closed on 26 May 1880.
4. North Waldoboro post office opened on 17 April 1844 and was renamed on 1 June 1962 as North Waldoboro Rur. Sta. Waldoboro, which closed on 30 June 1965.
5. Orff’s Corner post office opened on 6 Aoril 1880, closed on 9 October 1899, re-opened on 31 October 1899, and closed on 30 September 1903.
6. South Waldoboro post office opened on 17 August 1874 and closed on 15 January 1907.
7. Waldoboro post office opened on 1 October 1794 and is still operating.
8. West Waldoboro post office opened on 8 July 1886 and closed on 30 Marcj 1907.
9. Winslow’s Mills post office opened on 7 July 1873, closed on 20 August 1879, re-opened on 10 February 1886, and was renamed to Winslows Mills in 1894, which closed on 14 February 1972.


In 1914, there were three post offices in Waldoboro: North Waldoboro, Waldoboro, and Winslow’s Mills. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Waldoboro include:
Broad Bay
Dutch Neck
Feyler's Corner
NorthWaldoboro
North Waldoboro Rur. Sta. Waldoboro
Orff's Corner
South Waldoboro
West Waldoboro
Waldoboro
Winslow’s Mills
Winslows Mills



North Waldoboro


1844 April 17:
   North Waldoboro post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1937 March 29:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 August 29 through 1950 October 30:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1962 June 1:
   North Waldoboro post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Waldoboro


1794 October 1:
   Waldoboro post office opened (as “Waldoborough”). (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1818 December 10:
   “Free” postmark. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1832 November 19:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1840 May 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1840 August 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1, top], letter [page 1, bottom], letter [page 2, top], letter [page 2, bottom], letter [page 3, top], letter [page 3, bottom], letter [page 4])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1844 October 27:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1846 December 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1847 October 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

year? October 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 25 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Waldoboro post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2004 June 9:
   The oval postmark is approximately 36 mm wide by 33–34 mm tall.The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the oval is approximately 24 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Waldoboro post office is still in operation.


Winslow’s Mills


1873 July 7:
   Winslow’s Mills post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1879 August 20:
   Winslow’s Mills post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1886 February 10:
   Winslow’s Mills post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1893 December 28:
   The circular postmark is 27.5 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1894:
   Winslow’s Mills post office was renamed as Winslows Mills post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)