Nobleboro Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 24 April 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Nobleboro, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Damariscotta Mills post office opened on 6 September 1825 and closed on 12 December 1862.
2. Glendon post office opoened on 29 June 1897 and closed on 15 September 1920.
3. Nobleboro post office opened on 20 October 1800, closed on 20 December 1804, re-opened on 24 September 1821, closed on 13 April 1868, re-opened on 1 May 1868, and is still operating.
4. North Nobleboro post office opened on 19 March 1888 and closed on 30 March 1907.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Nobleboro: Glendon and Nobleboro. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Nobleboro include:
Damariscotta Mills
Glendon
Nobleboro
North Nobleboro



Damariscotta Mills


1825 September 6:
   Damariscotta Mills post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1899 February 27:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1937 August 26:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1943 October 17:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1962 December 12:
   Damariscotta Mills post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Nobleboro


1800 October 30:
   Nobleboro post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1804 December 20:
   Nobleboro post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1821 September 24:
   Nobleboro post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1827 October 3
   No postmark. The date and origin of the letter is at the top of the letter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1868 April 13:
   Nobleboro post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1868 May 1:
   Nobleboro post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
   Nobleboro post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Nobleboro post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Nobleboro post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 April 26:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1940 January 18:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1950 December 4:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Nobleboro post office. 36 Center Street; Nobleboro, Maine  04555. Lat./Long.: N 44°05′25″ x W 69°28′17″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Nobleboro post office is still in operation.