Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Newcastle, there have been six post offices.
Briefly, the history of these six is as follows:
1. Dyer’s River post office opened on 16 December 1833 and closed on 31 May 1842.
2. East Newcastle post office opened on 19 August 1890 and closed on 31 December 1909.
3. Newcastle post office opened on 1 October 1794 and is still operating.
4. North Newcastle post office opened on 23 July 1857 and closed on 30 June 1846.
5. South Newcastle post office opened on 19 November 1873, was renamed on 14 December 1880 A Eaicrucilian post office, and on 19 August 1887 was renamed back to South Newcastle post office, which closed on 31 Januuary 1914.
6. Sheepscott post office opened in 1810, was renamed on 29 December 1820 as Sheepscott Bridge post office, which was renamed on 26 May 1894 back to Sheepscott post office. Sheepscott post office was renamed on 30 July 1966 as Sheepscott Ruur. Br. Wiscasset, which closed on 6 December 1974.
In 1914, there were three post offices in Newcastle: Newcastle, North Newastle, and Sheepscott. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
(click on image to enlarge)