Monhegan Island Plantation Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 26 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of Monhegan Island Plantation, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Monhegan post office opened on 27 March 1882 and is still operating.
2. Monhegan Island post office opened on 2 January 1858 and closed on 4 January 1872.


In 1914, there was only one post offices in Monhegan Island Plantation: Monhegan. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Monhegan Island Plantation include:
Monhegan
Monhegan Island



Monhegan


27 March 1882:
   Monhegan post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 August 3 through 1936 September 7:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1939 November 11 through 1950 May 17:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1939 December 14:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1950 September:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2001 August 7:
   The circular postmark is 31–34 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Monhegan post office is still in operation.