Edgecomb Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 24 November 2020)


   Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.





During the history of the town of Edgecomb, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. East Edgecomb post office opened on 12 September 1890 and closed on 30 November 1940.
2. Edgecomb (1) post office opened on 3 May 1810 and closed on 31 May 1971.
3. North Edgecomb post office opened on 23 December 1828 and was renamed on 1 January 1992 was renamed as Edgecomb (2) post office, which is still operating.


In 1914, there were three post offices in Edgecomb: East Edgecomb, Edgecomb (1), and North Edgecomb. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Edgecomb include:
East Edgecomb
Edgecomb (1)
Edgecomb (2)
North Edgecomb



Edgecomb (1)


1810 May 3:
   Edgecomb (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
   Edgecomb (1) post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 December 11:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1971 May 31:
   Edgecomb (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Edgecomb (2)


1992 January 1:
   The former North Edgecomb post office was renamed as Edgecomb (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

2017 May 21:
   Edgecomb (2) post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Edgecomb (2) post office. 5 Cross Road; Edgecomb, Maine  04556. Lat./Long.: N 43°59′57″ x W 69°37′53″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Edgecomb (2) post office is still in operation.


North Edgecomb


1828 December 23:
   North Edgecomb post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 August 7:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1992 January 1:
   North Edgecomb post office was renamed as Edgecomb (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)