Bristol
Lincoln County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 3 March 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Bristol, there have been 15 post offices.

Briefly, the history of these 15 is as follows:
1. Bristol (1) post office operated from 25 February 1801 until 26 August 1843.
2. Bristol Mills post office was established on 13 June 1823 and was renamed on [16 or 26?] August 1843 as Bristol (2) post office, which is still operating.
3. Chamberlain post office was established on 30 September 1905 and is still operating.
4. Christmas post office was established on 20 May 1896 and was renamed on 24 September 1910 as Christmas Cove post office. The latter was renamed on 18 May 1967 as Christmas Cove Rur. Sta. South Bristol, a summer office, which closed on 16 June 1974.
5. Dingley post office was established on 8 May 1899 and was renamed on 23 August 1901 as Pemaquid Point post office. a summer office. The latter was renamed on 19 May 1967 as Pemaquid Point Rur. Br. New Harbor, which closed on 30 September 1974.
6. Heron Island post office, a summer office, operated from 8 September 1892 until 31 July 1946.
7. Loudville post office was established on 11 July 1908 and was renamed on 30 June 1960 as Loudville Rur. Br. Round Pond, which closed on 1 July 1968.
8. New Harbor post office was established on 22 June 1874 and is still operating.
9. Pemaquid post office operated from 3 January 1835 until December 1987.
10. Pemaquid Beach post office operated from 14 April 1890 until 8 April 1980.
11. Pemaquid Harbor post office operated from 7 July 1899 until 8 April 1980.
12. Round Pond post office was established on 19 April 1950 and is still operating.
13. South Bristol post office was established on 11 March 1863 and is still operating.
14. Walpole post office was established on 30 July 1886 and is still operating.
15. West Bristol post office operated from 21 October 1878 until 12 October 1895.


In 1914, there were 12 post offices in the town of Bristol: Bristol (2), Chamberlain, Christmas Cove, Pemaquid Point, Heron Island, New Harbor, Pemaquid, Pemaquid Beach, Pemaquid Harbor, Round Pond, South Bristol, and Walpole. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Bristol include:
Bristol (1)
Bristol (2)
Bristol Mills
Chamberlain
Christmas
Christmas Cove
Christmas Cove Rur. Sta. South Bristol
Dingley
Heron Island
Loudville
Loudville Rur. Br. Round Pond
New Harbor
Pemaquid
Pemaquid Beach
Pemaquid Harbor
Pemaquid Point
Pemaquid Point Rur. Br. New Harbor
Round Pond
South Bristol
Walpole
West Bristol



Bristol (2)


1843 Auugust [16 or 26?]:
   The former Bristol Mills post office was renamed as Bristol (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 June 26:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1965 March 4:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

1991 December 13:
   The circular postmark is 30–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

today:
   Bristol (2) post office is still in operation.


Chamberlain


1905 September 30:
   Chamberlain post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 August 16:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

1959 September 8:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1968 August 6:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

1987 August 24:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1991 December 13:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm.
      

1991 December 13:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 28–30 mm in diameter; the inner, 18–19 mm.
      

today:
   Chamberlain post office is still in operation.


Christmas Cove


1910 September 24:
   The former Christmas post office was renamed as Christmas Cove post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1933 September 9:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1967 May 18:
   Christmas Cove post office was renamed as Christmas Cove Rur. Sta. South Bristol. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Loudville


1908 July 11:
   Loudville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 June 30:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1960 June 30:
   Loudville post office was renamed as Loudvill Rur. Br. Round Pond. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


New Harbor


1874 June 22:
   New Harbor post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1884 December 1-: (year determined from backstamp)
   The circular postmark is approximately 24 mm in diameter.
      

1933 December 18:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      

1950 June 6:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

today:
   New Harbor post office is still in operation.


Pemaquid


1835 January 3:
   Pemaquid post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1891 January 15:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      

1935 July 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1987 December:
   Pemaquid post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Pemaquid Beach


1890 April 14:
   Pemaquid Beach post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 September 2:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
      

1980 April 8:
   Pemaquid Beach post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Pemaquid Harbor


1897 July 7:
   Pemaquid Harbor post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 August 12:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1980 April 8:
   Pemaquid Harbor post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Pemaquid Point


1901 August 23:
   The former Dingley post office was renamed as Pemaquid Point post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 August 15:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1967 May 19:
   Pemaquid Point post office was renamed as Pemaquid Point Rur. Br. New Harbor. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Round Pond


1850 April 19:
   Round Pond post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1937 August 12:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1950 January 3 through 1950 February 10:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
         

today:
   Round Pond post office is still in operation.


South Bristol


1863 March 11:
   South Bristol post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1897 January 26:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      

1949 September 15 through 1949 September 22:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
         

today:
   South Bristol post office is still in operation.