Bremen Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 19 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Bremen, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Bremen (1) post office opened on 14 May 1830, closed on 24 April 1834, re-opened on 24 July 1838, closed on 28 August 1856, re-opened on 24 March 1857, closed on 30 July 1858, re-opened on 30 June 1879, and closed on 15 September 1920.
2. Medomak post office was established on 21 August 1890, and on 1 July 1996 was renamed as Bremen (2) post office, which is still in operation.
3. Broad Cove post office operated from 1 September 1879 to 15 August 1940.
4. Muscongus post office operated from 28 December 1887 to 30 March 1935.


In 1914 there were four post offices in Bremen: Bremen (1), Medomak, Broad Cove, and Muscongus. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Bremen include:
Bremen (1)
Bremen (2)
Broad Cove
Medomak
Muscongus



Bremen (1)


1830 May 14:
   Bremen (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1834 April 24:
   Bremen (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1838 July 24:
   Bremen (1) post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1849 October 19:
   Manuscript postmark.
      

1856 August 28:
   Bremen (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1857 March 24:
   Bremen (1) post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1858 July 20:
   Bremen (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1879 June 30:
   Bremen (1) post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1896 February 12: (year and day from backstamp)
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter. The diameter of the outer circle of the bullseye cancellation is approximately 16 mm.
      

1910 April 4:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter.
      

1920 September 15:
   Bremen (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Bremen (2)


1996 July 1:
   The former Medomak post office was renamed as Bremen (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

2020:
   Bremen (2) post office. 160 Medomak Road; Bremen, Maine  04551. Lat./Long.: N 44°00′19″ x W 68°24′36″
      

today:
   Bremen (2) post office is still in operation


Broad Cove


1879 September 1:
   Broad Cove post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1920 January 26:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

1940 August 15:
   The circular postmark is 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 20 mm. Note that this was postmarked on the last day of operation.
      

1940 August 15:
   Broad Cove post office closed.


Medomak


1890 August 21:
   Medomak post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 August 30:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1991 December 13:
   The circular postmark is 30–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1996 July 1:
   Medomak post office was renamed as Bremen (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Muscongus


1887 December 28:
   Muscongus post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 March 30:
   Last day for this post office. The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      

1935 March 30:
   Muscongus post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)