Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Boothbay Harbor, there have been four post offices.
Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Bayville post office was established on 4 August 1894 and was renamed on 27 December 1963 as Bayville Rur. Sta. Boothbay Harbor. In June 1995, the latter was renamed as Bayville CPO Boothbay Harbor and is still operating.
2. Boothbay Harbor post office was established on 27 March 1889 and is still operating.
3. Isle of Springs was established on 29 June 1892 and was renamed on 19 May 1967 as Isle of Springs Rur. Sta. Boothbay, which was later renamed as Isle of Springs CPO Boothbay. More research is needed to clarify the history of this post office.
4. Haley post office was renamed on 26 March 1902 as West Boothbay Harbor post office, which is still in operation.
In 1914, there were four post offices in the town of Boothbay Harbor: Bayville, Boothbay Harbor, Isle of Springs, and West Boothbay Harbor. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Boothbay Harbor include: